I've been trying a lot to incorporate more brush variation into my paintings, and I've had some truly great results. This first one is some sort of dragon lizard that has foliage growing on it's skin. I tried several different color palettes for this one but ultimately settled for a more autumn feel. something like two and a half hours in photoshop.
only one custom brush here for the cracks in the ice, but didn't expect much from this and didn't work too much on polishing it. The bases in the background were a complete afterthought, was originally going to have some giant ice palace or something.
Last painting in the group, and also the one that took the longest. This is funny because the thumbnail sketch that I painted over was barely developed enough to read as anything at all. I started out thinking it was some sort of goat or ox, but it ended up being some kind of baboon-ox hybrid. Very pleased with the colors here, and especially the lighting and overall detail. This is easily more polished and finished than I've gotten any previous creature or character paintings. The very organized and clean layer setup I utilized was very rewarding, and I plan to stick to that scheme for future works.
Now for some rough work. Doing more sketches than I can possibly post in one update, but a certain class has kept me very busy with drawing. Doing mostly creature sketches in my spare time, as well as some architecture (which I don't have scanned yet) and foliage (below).